Knowing what type of fire extinguisher should be used if a fire breaks out is essential. There are certain fires that do not go out with certain extinguishing agents, and others which by its water content, if they come together with podríuan electrocute electric charge. We tell you what types of fire extinguishers on the market so you know what you can use. To find out which anti-fire extinguisher must choose we must know what kind of fire we will shut down:
Types of Fire
Fire may be four different classes:
Class A – Fire solids such as wood, plastic, coal, etc …
Class B – Fires liquids such as gasoline, solvents, paints, etc …
Class C – Fires of gases such as butane, propane, natural gas, etc …
Class D – Fires of specialty metals such as sodium, magnesium, potassium, etc … these fires must be extinguished by fire crews specialized, employing productso special chemical powder.
Types of fire extinguishers extinguishing agent used:
Extinguishers are within an extinguishing agent is that when spraying the fire extinguishes. The most common extinguishing agents can they find are:
- Water extinguishers: suitable for fires type A always in places where no electricity. Remember that water is not used for fires of liquid fuels such as gasoline or oil since being denser than these liquid fuel would be placed above the water and not extinguiríamos the fire.
- Water spray extinguishers: are ideal for putting out fires type A and type suitable for fires B. There should never be used in the presence of electric current as the water could cause an electrical shock. This type of extinguisher is good outside the houses where there is no electrical hazard, such as gardens, barbecues, etc.
- Foam extinguishers: Ideal for fires type A and B, we’ve all ever seen a drill firefighters spray foam. Like the above it is dangerous in the presence of electricity.
- Powder extinguishers: is the most common type and used in any building. It is indicated for fires type A, B and C and being dust prevents electrical hazard. It is the most recommended for homes, offices or any building.
- Extinguishers Carbon dioxide (CO2): Because this is enclosed pressurized gas inside the extinguisher when it is discharged abruptly expands. As a result, the temperature drops dramatically agent to values are around -79 ° C, which motivates the name given to this download of «dry ice» becomes dry ice there. This mist in contact with the fuel cools. There is also a side effect of displacing oxygen suffocation. It is used in fires of class B and class C, not to be electrically conductive. In fires of class A, it can be used if supplemented with a water extinguisher, for itself unable to extinguish the fire.
- The powder extinguishers are suitable for almost all types of fire that you can find. So it is the most widespread type. CO2 extinguishers are suitable for fires in sensitive equipment as the spoil unless other extinguishing agents, but are less effective than powder extinguishers.